Amazing Horse Facts
Here are the top 12 Amazing Horse Facts...
- A horses brain weights half as much as a humans at just 0.6 kg
- It takes 9-12 months to regrow an entire hoof
- Horses have 16 muscles in their ears alone, allowing them to rotate 180 degrees
- Horses were first domesticated 5000 years ago be Mongolian tribes
- Horses stomachs are constantly gurgling. An absence of noise can indicate colic
- Arabs have one fewer lumbar vertebra and one less rib than other breeds and their bone density is higher
- The first cloned horse was a Haflinger mare in 2003
- Horses have the largest eyes of any land mammal and have nearly 360 degree vision, apart from directly in front and directly behind them
- Horses teeth take up more space than their brain
- Horses are not colour blind but find purple and violet shades harder to see than yellows and greens
- Horses can't burp or vomit. Their physiology means food can only travel one way which in turn makes them susceptible to colic
- And finally, the saying 'never look a gift horse in the mouth' originates from a time when horses where a much bigger part of our daily life. If you were ever given a horse is was considered rude to open its mouth and look at its teeth to check the age, and that you should just accept the gift. I hope you have enjoyed these fun horsey facts.